MyMenu

Monday, June 29, 2015

1998 Mustang GT High Idle Problem and Solution

On a nice spring day a little while back I was in my car with my sister dropping her off at my parents house when all of a sudden my car, which was stopped at a light, started idling at about 2,500 RPM's. I brought it to my garage and hoped it was only a fluke.

Next time I started the car it did the same thing. So I went online to see what the problem might be. I found it could be the Idle Air Control valve or the Throttle Position Sensor. I changed out the IAC valve and the problem remained.



A co-worker told me it could also be gunk build up in the throttle body, so him and I took it all apart and cleaned it out. Gunk build up is putting it mildly, there was so much in there it took a couple of bottles of carb cleaner to get it nice and clean. Putting it all back together, the problem remained.

The TPS was my next guess, there was only one problem with that, the bolts were stuck. I had to take the throttle body off and drill the TPS and its bolts off. I then put the new one on and still the problem remained.

The car had the check engine light on and when we hooked up the computer it gave all kinds of codes. So after replacing the IAC and TPS we cleared the codes and I drove it to see if the check engine light would come back on. I drove it for less than two miles, when I got back to the shop, the car started smoking. It seemed as if the water pump was not working. Fantastic.

A day went by and we decided to hook the computer back up to see if it read anything and noticed something odd. We saw that the ECU was readin the engine temperature at -22 degrees Fahrenheit, while the engine was running!

There was no possible way that was true. So after checking all the sensors we came across the coolant temperature sensor which looked like this.

In case you didn't know, this is supposed to be in one piece...

Needless to say that when the switch was replaced the problem was solved. All this trouble and aggravation for a twenty dollar part. Just thought I'd put this out there in case some one has a similar issue and I could maybe save them the hassle I went through.

And be sure to check out my Mustang project for more updates and to get a look at the finished car!


No comments:

Post a Comment